Monday, February 20, 2012

an invitation

I have been thinking about this post for awhile. I have been thinking about our responsibility as Christians - our calling. I read so many blogs about adoption and the message is the same eye-opening, convicting, inspiring message on all of them. "God's heart is for the orphan! He instituted adoption! Our very identity is found in the fact that we are adopted into His family - co-heirs with Jesus." To all of this I say "AMEN!" 


But then there is the feelings of guilt that all too often follow. If I know these things to be true - if I really believe and agree with them, why am I not doing more. Why isn't my house full of once orphaned-now adopted sons and daughters!? 


"Once our eyes are open we can not pretend we don't know what to do.
 God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, 
knows what we know and holds us responsible to act."  Proverbs 24:12

This verse is used so many times on adoption blogs and while I know the intent, it can sadly bring condemnation. 
"There is therefore now no condemnation 
for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1

Conviction is from the Lord. It is Him gently saying, "I have a better way, a better plan. This is not My best for you. Do it My way and see how blessed you'll be, child." Condemnation is not from Him. It is satan whispering, sometimes yelling, in our ear, "You are not good enough. You are not doing enough. Just look at "her", she is so much more godly than you." This is an easy place to go in the adoption world. Everywhere you look other families have adopted more children than you - kids with special needs, teenagers, the hard cases. We've adopted one -one, cute, easy baby boy with no special needs. Isn't there more we should do? There is definitely more we could do. Right?  


I fully believe we as Christians are called, no commanded, to care for the orphan. I am completely convinced the orphan crisis is our problem. I do pray more Christians would step out in faith on this journey - but not out of some sense of false spirituality or fear of judgement. From a heart that says, "Lord, what do YOU want for our family? How can we follow you fully in this life? I want to take up my cross and deny myself because I know your way is so much better than mine. Break my heart with the things that break Your's." Lately I have come to realize that this verse is as much an invitation as it is a wake-up call. We will all stand before the Lord one day to give an account of our lives. I long to hear "Well done good and faithful servant" (don't you?) But more and more I am aware that He is saying to us, "Do you want more of Me? Do you want to be blessed beyond your wildest dreams? Do you want to experience a deeper walk with Me? Then follow Me. Seek first My kingdom! Act on what you know and what I am whispering in your heart."


As we have walked this journey the last year, we have been more blessed than we could have imagined. I can't begin to express in words how glad we are that we took that first scary step and then the next and then the next to find ourselves where we are today. The Lord has been reminding me lately that when we seek His will and follow Him when says, "this is the way, walk in it," it is the most exciting, best place to be. I wish I could adequately express how deeply blessed we are and how exciting it is to have a front row seat as He works and moves to accomplish His purposes in our lives. He is inviting us, all of us, to be His hands and feet and in the process to have our socks blessed off! That is exciting to me! I want that! Not out of some sense of guilt or condemnation, but because there is nowhere I would rather be than in the center of His will!


Yes, His heart is for the orphan. Adoption is His idea! And when we get on board with His plan its a wild, crazy, blessed ride! 


Today, Lord, I say "yes" - I accept your invitation. Help me to know Your will and walk in Your ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment