Friday, February 10, 2012

more connections

Last week I was invited to a press conference with our adoption social worker. Norma is passionate about adoption and serves on several committees and boards here in Bakersfield. She is sweet and quiet, but boy does she have connections. Let me tell you, she is amazing. 


The press conference was for Safely Surrender awareness - a program where birth mothers can surrender their newborn baby without fear of shame, blame, or names. Since 2006, 25 babies have been safely surrendered in Bakersfield. Anyways, Norma invited me to tag along so I could meet some important people. First, let me say, the press conference was moving and emotional. Several people shared personal stories and the mayor made a proclamation that February is Safe Surrender awareness month in Kern County. 


Afterwards, I was introduced to quite a few people as "the west coast regional representative for The Forgotten Initiative." I have tried to explain to Norma that that title is Dominic's joke, not my actual title. In an effort to make me seem really important, that is what  Dominic jokingly refers to me as. And Norma insisted on introducing me as such! (just a bit overstated) How embarrassing! At any rate, I was able to meet Antanette - she is the Director of outreach for the Department of Human Services Child Welfare Division. Talk about getting straight to the top! She was warm and pleasant and invited me to speak to her staff about the vision and ministry of TFI. Too cool! This is exactly who I needed to meet and exactly who I needed to talk to about TFI to begin advocating here in Bakersfield. You go, Norma! 


Antanette's secretary called me 2 days later and I am scheduled to be at their staff meeting Wednesday morning February 22 at 9:30! With that in mind, and because it is so important, we are having our first Bakersfield TFI prayer meeting - Tuesday the 21st @ 7pm - at my house. Everything we do with The Forgotten Initiative must be led by and empowered by the Holy Spirit. If you can't be with us, please join in praying for the work the Lord wants to do through us in the foster care system in Bakersfield. 


I really expected it to take several tries and lots of phone calls to get to talk to someone who could give me ways that the body of Christ could serve the foster care community here. I came away from the press conference rejoicing in the way the Lord worked (again) to open doors for this ministry. The timing of the press conference, my invitation to go, Norma's connections, and the welcome reception from Antanette are all more evidences of the Lord working behind the scenes to pave the way for TFI! Praises! His ways truly are higher than ours - and when He is at work, hang on and get ready to run!! 


To God be the glory, great things He has done! 



No comments:

Post a Comment