Friday, February 24, 2012

one year ago

Today is a special anniversary for us in the DeCarlo family. One year ago today we first snuggled our little guy. One year ago today I sat in my van talking to a woman who will always have a special place in my heart. Lacy, Levi's foster mom and I chatted about Levi as I sat in the parking lot of the fairgrounds in Visalia. My girls were inside watching a horse show and I was huddled up in my car (it was a cold, gray day). I remember Lacy telling me, "there's just something about him." At the time I didn't really understand what she meant. He was, after all, only 4 months old and I couldn't quite figure out how different could he really be from other 4 months old? It didn't take long at all for us to see that Levi has been blessed with an endearing personality. Everybody who knows him, and plenty of strangers too, are drawn to him.  He's a flirt, and a ham and he loves laughing and making people laugh with him. There really is something about him! 


I had stared at Levi's picture - the one my social worker sent to me - for a week, waiting for approval from the county to have him placed in our home. You see, as soon as his foster parents knew he was being moved to adoptions, they wanted him to be with his forever family as soon as possible. They knew how special everyday is with little ones - and they wanted him to have every opportunity to bond with his family. I am so thankful for their hearts. They loved him while he was with them and handed him over to us knowing that was best for him! How selfless. Such a beautiful example of sacrificial love. 


Before Levi, the Whitbey family had loved a little girl for nearly a year. She was reunited with a family member. After Levi, they had another baby boy whom they loved and treasured for 6 months before handing him into the arms of his adoptive family. I love the Whitbeys for what they do for these little ones. They truly have the heart of Jesus. Fostering isn't easy. Loving a little one, knowing they won't be staying, must rip your heart out. And yet, this family continues to do the hard thing. Someone once told me, "It's never wrong to love a child." For a day, for a year, for life. Precious Whitbey family, the Lord is pleased with you - thank you for loving His little lambs. 


I does my heart good to remember how faithful the Lord has been to us and to Levi through this journey - rejoice with me as I remind myself of His goodness!  


~It was January 2010 when I began to feel the Lord prompting me again to foster/adopt.
~I prayed for 6 months that the Lord would add to our family through adoption 
~I prayed that this would not just be "my thing" but that Dominic and I would be united
~We were finally certified in October 2010
(Looking back now, it is so cool for me to see the Lord's perfect timing - all those months I prayed were the exact months that Levi was being carried in his birth-mom's womb. He was conceived in January and born in October. While I didn't carry him in my womb - I carried him in my heart and in my prayers for those 9 months. Isn't that just the way the Lord works? Preparing us as He prepared Levi to enter the world!) 


~My song while we waited was "Our God" by Chris Tomlin. Every time it came on the radio I prayed, I dreamed, and I prayed some more for our little one. Months later, at a Harvest Crusade I was blessed to hear Chris Tomlin perform it live while Levi clapped and danced in my arms. I was moved to tears as I held him, thinking about how perfectly the Lord had heard and answered all my prayers. The private ones, the fears, the doubts, the requests that he be protected from whatever he was being exposed to...And there he was, in my arms - every prayer answered beyond what I could ask or think! 


~Tomorrow will be one year that Levi has been home with us. His foster parents brought him over at 4:00 in the afternoon - it was a Friday. We videotaped the car pulling up, Levi being taken out of the van, and the three of them walking up to the front door. We have video tapes of the girls' births - this was for us, his birth video! Such a treasured memory. Once inside, he snuggled up with Lexie and fell asleep. The next few months feel like a blur of bottles, burp clothes, sleepless nights and the best dimpled smile from a little boy we all love like crazy! 


~October 21, 2010 - not only did we celebrate Levi's first birthday, we were doubly blessed to celebrate the finalization of his adoption. Just 8 short months after coming home, he was officially our son - forever. With all the rights of a natural born child. What a beautiful reminder of what has been done for us as children of God. That day in court, the judge repeatedly called Levi by his given name. I winced every time - didn't he know that we were changing his name? Should I speak up and say something? Over and over he referred to him by his "old" name. But then, at the very end, the judge said, "With my signature I declare that he is no longer (insert old name) but shall hence forth be known as Levi Joseph DeCarlo." And with that the courtroom erupted with cheers and claps! 


Thank you, Lord for the new life you have given Levi. Thank you Lord that You have done the same for all those who know Jesus as Savior. You have given us a new name, an inheritance with your son Jesus, and brought us into your family! 


Here are some pictures of Levi through the year! Our little man, how we love you. 












The Lord has done great things for us and we are full of joy!
Psalms 126:3

No comments:

Post a Comment